First name: ANATOLY
Second name: TIMOFEEVICH
Adress: Office: Chair of Differential Geometry and Applications,
Department of Math. and Mech. Moscow State University,
Moscow, 119992, Russia
Residence: Russia, Moscow, 119234, Leninskie (Vorobyevy) Gory,
Tel: (495)-939-39-40 (office)
(Fax: (495)-932-89-94 (office)
Date of Birth: March 13, 1945
Place of Birth: USSR, Donetzk
Marital Status: Married (wife - Tatjana Fomenko)
Education: M.Sc.in Mathematics, Moscow University. Faculty
of Mathematics, June 1967. Thesis: "Cohomology of
Ph.D. in Mathematics, Moscow University, Faculty
of Geometry and Topology, December 1969. Thesis:
"Totally geodesic models of the cycles" (The clas-
sification of totally geodesic submanifolds which
realize the non-trivial cycles in the Riemannian
homogeneous manifolds. Differential Geometry and
Dr. Sci. in Mathematics, Moscow University, Dept.
of Geometry and Topology, September 1972. Thesis:
"Solution of multidimensional Plateau problem in
the spectral bordism classes on Riemannian mani-
Occupation: July 1963 - June 1967:
Student of Moscow Univ.,
Dept. of Math. and Mech. Mathematician.
October 1967 - December 1969:
Post-graduate student of Moscow Univ., Dept. of
Math and Mech., Chair of Differential Geometry
December 1969 - May 1974:
Research Fellow, Moscow Univ., Dept. of Math.
and Mech., Chair of Geometry and Topology.
May 1974 - January 1980:
Senior research fellow, Moscow Univ., Dept. of
Math. and Mech. Chair of Geometry and Topology.
January 1980 - March 1992:
Professor of Moscow Univ., Dept.of Math. and
Mech., Chair of Geometry and Topology.
March 1992 - to present time: Chair of
Differential Geometry and Applications.
Dept. of Math. and Mech. Moscow State
Membership of Professional Societies:
Full member of Russian Academy of Sciences
Member of International Academy of Science of High
Member of Academy of Natural Sciences (Russia),
Member of Moscow Mathematical Society.
Prizes, Awards and Distinctions:
Award of Moscow Mathematical Society, 1974.
Award of the Presidium of Academy of Science,
State Award of Russia, 1996.
Research and Publications:
210 publications in the central mathematical
press. The main fields of investigations:
1) Variational methods in differential geometry
and topology, minimal surfaces and Plateau
problem, harmonic mappings.
2) Integration of Hamiltonian systems of differen-
tial equations, including a new theory of topological
classificaion of such systems.
3) Computer geometry, algorithmical problems in
geometry and topology. Computers in the topolo-
gy of three-dimensional manifolds.
4) Empirico-statistical methods for the analysis
of narrative texts, the problem of recogniza-
bility of dependent texts. Applications to the
chronology of ancient history.
The main scientific publications:
The main books: 1) Fomenko A.T. Differential Geometry and
Topology. - Plenum Publ. Corporation. 1987.
Ser.Contemporary Soviet Mathematics.Consultants
Bureau, New York and London.(In English)
Translation from Russian edition.
2) Dubrovin B.A., Fomenko A.T., Novikov S.P.
Modern Geometry. Methods and Applications.
Springer-Verlag, GTM 93, Part 1, 1984; GTM 104,
Part 2, 1985.(In English), Part 3, 1990, GTM 124.
Translation from Russian edition.
3) Fomenko A.T., Trofimov V.V., Integrable
systems on Lie algebras and symmetric spaces.-
Gordon and Breach, 1987. (In English)
4) Fomenko A.T. Integrability and Noninteg-
rability in Geometry and Mechanics. - Kluwer
Academic Publishers, 1988. (In English)
5) Fomenko A.T., Fuchs D.B., Gutenmacher V.L.
Homotopic Topology. - Akademiai Kiado, Buda-
pest, 1986. (In English). Translation from the
Russian edition 1969. Japanese translation in
6) Fomenko A.T. Symplectic Geometry. Methods
and Applications. - Gordon and Breach , 1988.
Translation from Russian edition. Second edition
7) Novikov S.P., Fomenko A.T. The basic ele-
ments of differential geometry and topology.
Moscow, Nauka, 1987. English translation,
Kluwer Acad. Publishers, 1990.
8) Dao Chong Thi, Fomenko A.T. Minimal surfaces
and Plateau problem. Moscow, Nauka, 1987.
English translation, American Math.Society,
9) Fomenko A.T. Topological variational prob-
lems. Moscow, Moscow Univ. Press.1984. English
translation, Gordon and Breach, 1991.
10) Fomenko A.T. Variational Principles in
Topology. Multidimensional Minimal Surface Theory.
Kluwer Acad. Publishers. 1990.
11) Fomenko A.T. Visual Geometry and Topology.
Moscow, Moscow Univ. Press, 1992. (English
translation, Springer-Verlag, 1994).
12) Fomenko A.T. The Plateau Problem. vols.1,2.
Gordon and Breach, 1990. (Studies in the Develop-
ment of Modern Mathematics).(In English)
13) Fomenko A.T. Mathematical Impressions. American
Math. Society, 1990.
14) Fomenko A.T., Tuzhilin A.A. Elements of the
Geometry of Minimal Surfaces in Three-Dimensional
Space. - American Math. Soc. in: Translation of
Mathematical Monographs. vol.93, 1991.
15) Fomenko A.T., Matveev S.V. Algorithmical and
Computer Methods in Three-Dimensional Topology.
- Moscow, Moscow Univ.Press, 1991.
English translation in Kluwer Academic Publishers,
The Netherlands, 1997.
16) Fomenko A.T. Methods for Statistical Analysis
of Narrative Texts and Applications to Chronology.
(Recognition and Dating of Dependent Texts, Statis-
tical Ancient Chronology, Statistics of Ancient
Astronomical Records). - Moscow, Moscow Univ.Press.
1990 (in Russian).
17) Fomenko A.T., Kalashnikov V.V., Nosovsky G.V.
Geometrical and Statistical Methods of Analysis
of Star Configurations. Dating of Ptolemy's
Almagest. - Moscow, Nauka.
English translation in CRC Press, USA, 1993.
18) A.T.Fomenko. Empirico-Statistical Analysis
of Narrative Material and its Applications to
Historical Dating. (In English).
Volume 1: The Development of the Statistical
Volume 2: The Analysis of Ancient and Medieval
Kluwer Academic Publishers. 1994. The Netherlands.
19) A.T.Fomenko. Visual Geometry and Topology.
Springer-Verlag. 1994. (In English).
20) A.T.Fomenko, V.V.Trofimov. Algebra and Geometry
of Integrable Hamiltonian Differential Equations. -
Moscow, "Factorial", 1995 (In Russian).
21) A.T.Fomenko, T.L.Kunii. Topological
Modeling for Visualization. - Springer-Verlag, 1997.
The main publications in the central mathematical journals:
1) Fomenko A.T. Realization of cycles in compact symmetric
spaces by totally geodesic submanifolds. - Soviet Math. Dokl.
V.11, 1970, No. 6, P. 1583 - 1586 (in English).
2) Fomenko A.T. Bott periodicity rrom the point of view of an
n-dimensional Dirichlet functional. - Math. USSR Izvestija, V. 5,
1971, No.3, P. 681 - 695 (in English).
3) Fomenko A.T. Minimal compacts in Riemannian manifolds and
Reifenberg's conjecture.- Math. USSR Izvestija. V.6, 1972, No. 5,
P.1037 - 1066 (in English).
4) Fomenko A.T. The multidimensional Plateau problem in
Riemannian manifolds. - Math. USSR Sbornik, V. 18, 1972, No. 3, P.
487 - 527 (in English).
5) Fomenko A.T., Volodin I.A., Kuznetzov V.E. On the problem of the
algorithmical recognizability of the standard three-dimensional
sphere. - Uspechi Math. Nauk, 1974, V.24, No. 5, P. 71 - 168
(in Russian, but see also corresponding English translation).
6) Fomenko A.T.Complete Integrability of some Classical
Hamiltonian Systems. - Amer. Math. Soc. Trans. (2), V.133, 1986,
P.79 - 9 (in English).
7) Fomenko A.T. Algebraic structure of certain integrable
Hamiltonian Systems, - Lecture Notes in Math. 1984, V.1108, P.103
- 127 (in English).
8) Fomenko A.T. The topology of surfaces of constant energy in
integrable Hamiltonian systems, and the obstructions to
integrability. - Math. USSR Izyestija, V.29, 1987, No.3, P.629 -
658 (in English).
9) Fomenko A.T. Morse theory of integrable Hamiltonian systems.
- Soviet Math. Dokl. V.33, 1986, No.2, P. 502 - 506 (in English).
10) Fomenko A.T. Symplectic Topology of Completely Integrable
Hamiltonian Systems. - Russian Math. Surveys. 1989. v.44, No.1, pp.
181 - 219 (in English).
11) Fomenko A.T. Empirico-Statistical Methods in Ordering
Narrative Texts. - International Statistical Review. 1988, V.56,
No.3, P.279 - 301 (in English).
12) Fomenko A.T., Matveev S.V. Constant energy surfaces of Hamilto-
nian systems, enumeration of three-dimensional manifolds in increasing
order of complexity, and computation of volumes of closed hyperbolic
manifolds. - Russian Math. Surveys, v.43, No.1, 1988, pp. 3 - 24 (in
13) Chacon R.V., Fomenko A.T. Reccurence formula for the homogeneous
terms of the logarithm of the product integral on Lie groups. -
Functional Analisys and its Applic. 1990, v.24, No.1, pp.48-58 (in
Russian, but see also corresponding English translation).
14) Fomenko A.T. Topological invariants of integrable Hamiltonian
systems. - Functional Analysis and its Applic. 1988, v.22, No.4, pp.
38 - 51 (in Russian, but see also corresponding English translation).
15) Bolsinov A.V., Fomenko A.T., Matveev S.V. Topological classifi-
cation of integrable Hamiltonian systems with two degrees of freedom.
List of all systems of low complexity. - Russian Math.Surveys.
vol.45, 1990, No.2, pp.59-94.
16) Fomenko A.T. List of all integrable Hamiltonian systems of
general type with two degress of freedom. "Physical zone" in this
table. - In: Integrable and superintegrable systems. World Scientific
Publ. Co. Ptl.Ltd. 1990, pp.134-164.
17) Fomenko A.T. Topological classification of all Hamiltonian
differential equations of general type with two degrees of freedom.
- In: Geometry of Hamiltonian Systems. Proc. of a Workshop held
June 5-16, 1989. Berkeley. Springer Verlag. New York. 1991, pp.
18) Fomenko A.T. A bordism theory for integrable nondegenerate
Hamiltonian systems with two degrees of freedom. A new topological
invariant of hidher-dimensional integrable systems. - Math.USSR
Izvestiya, vol.39, (1992), No.1, pp.731-759.
19) A.V.Bolsinov, A.T.Fomenko. Orbital equivalence of
integrable Hamiltonian systems with two degrees of freedom. A
classification theorem. I,II. -
Russian Acad. Sci. Sb. Math. 1995, vol.81, No.2,
pp.421-465. (Part I).
Russian Acad. Sci. Sb. Math. 1995, vol.82, No.1, pp.21-63.
20) A.V.Bolsinov and A.T.Fomenko. Orbital classification of
integrable Hamiltonian systems. The case of simple systems.
Orbital classification of systems of Euler type in rigid body
dynamics. - Izvestiya: Mathematics 59:1, (1995), pp.63-100.
21) A.V.Bolsinov, A.T.Fomenko. Orbital classification of
geodesic flows on two-dimensional ellipsoids. The Jacobi problem
is orbitally equivalent to the integrable Euler case in rigid
body dunamics. - Functional Analysis and its Applications. 1995,
vol.29, No.3, pp.149-160.